Monday 31 March 2014

US versus UK cover: Fateful: by Claudia Gray

First a quick review . . . 

The book blurb calls this a: A tragic tale about falling in love on the world’s most infamous ill-fated sea voyage as heroine, Tess, discovers darker secrets that lie beneath the doomed crossing… and a hidden brotherhood that threaten to tear her lover from her forever.

This  was a fun read that didn't tax too many of my grey cells. Tess and Alec, the two MCs, are very nicely sketched and Mikhail is great bad guy. Sadly, both Tess and Alec fell prey to that young adult nasty, instalove, but despite that, their love was sweet and believable. When confronted by seemingly insurmountable danger, Alec was even willing to step away from her to do the right thing. I rather like that about him. My only other criticism was that I found the Lisle family for whom Tess works as a maid to be a little stereotypical, which was unfortunate. In fact, Lady Regina harked back quite a bit to Rose's mother in the James Cameron version of the Titanic movie.

The really interesting thing about the book, though, was the setting. It was constantly in my mind that regardless of what was happing in the plot, everything was going to come crashing down when the ship hit the iceberg. After the crash, I again had visions of the movie which somewhat dispelled the scenes and the tension Claudia Gray was trying to create. It's mighty hard competing against a mega-buster movie shot in techni-colour. 

I did enjoy the ending though - especially as this book is a stand-alone and I don't have to wait years to get to the end of a series. 

So, if like a lightweight paranormal, then you will enjoy this. I gave it three stars. 

Now to the covers . . . 

How different are these?


This is the US cover. Pretty, but not as eye-catching as the UK version, although I have read on Goodreads that the lettering is embossed, which would make a difference if you were seeing it in a bookstore, I suppose.




This is the UK version, which I own. I'll admit, I think it's a bit garish and perhaps also a bit misleading. That dress doesn't look even vaguely Edwardian. I do like the moon, though.

So what do you think? Which cover is better? Leave a comment because I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers
Gwynn

Disqus for Gwynneth White