Thursday 20 June 2013

US vs UK Covers: Starcrossed series by Jospehine Angelini

This post is probably old hat given that Goddess (Goodreads) has already hit the bookshelves - well, shelves other than mine in South Africa, that is. Still, I thought it would be fun to look at the UK and US covers of the Starcrossed series by Josephine Angelini. They could not be more different.

Starcrossed 
(Goodreads)

I saw the UK cover (released by MacMillian Children's Books) in my local bookstore and fell on it. The rest, they say, is history. I thoroughly enjoyed it (three stars, if I recall) Two of my daughters are obsessed with the series. So much so that I had to buy them each copies for their separate bookshelves. Share one book? What!?! Mom, you just don't understand the problem . . .

The US book is published by Harper Teen. The cover is definitely pretty, but it doesn't really grab me. I mean, what's with her nose sticking off the edge of the page? And it looks like the story's about her flowing robes - which I don't even recall that she wore in the book. 

So, for me the UK Cover is lightyears ahead of the US. But that doesn't mean to say I like the next UK cover much though. 

Dreamless

 Even though I own two copies of the UK version of Dreamless (see point above about teenage daughters), I say a resounding no thank you to MacMillian. Your cover is just horrible. Honestly, that ugly guy cannot possibly be Orion. Or can it? Words don't even begin to describe . . .

So that leaves the US cover. What is it with Harper Teen that they don't want to show us Helen's face? She is after all the heroine. And isn't her face supposed to be beautiful enough to launch a thousand ships? And what's with the wind? Does it never stop blowing on Nantucket? Must be like Cape Town where I live . . .
Anyway, I guess this cover still beats the UK offering of the ugly simian-like creature looming over Helen.

Then we have

Goddess
 (Goodreads)


Okay, I must admit, I adore the colours used on the US cover (Harper Teen). They are just my thing. Hell, I even recently dyed a chunk of my hair purple and turquoise with a dash of pink to lighten the mix. But still, as book covers go, it doesn't tell me much about the story. 

Whereas, the UK version by MacMillian does. . .
But As much as I love the UK cover, I loved it first on Across The Universe by Beth Revis (Goodreads).



Now there's a great series. But I digress . . .

Don't you think the UK cover is similar to this? Or is that just me being pedantic? That said, I would be very happy to own two copies of the UK version of Goddess. Not having read it yet though, I have to wonder if it's Lucas or Orion on the cover. Personally I hope it's Orion  . . . or maybe Lucas. Oh, the curse of indecision! 

So what do you think? Which covers are best, the US or the UK? I would love to know your thoughts.

Until next time cheers
Gwynn


Follow on Bloglovin

Disqus for Gwynneth White