Monday 3 June 2013

UK vs US covers: Uglies by Scott Westerfield

It's been a while since I did one of these . . .  So, stand back for another book cover comparison.

Just how many covers does one book need? That's the question that springs to mind when I look at my paperback copy of the Uglies (Goodreads) I say this because my cover looks totally different to the three other images which have decked this story since it was printed in 2005 by Simon Schuster Children's Books.
This is my UK cover:
Published March 29th 2012 by Simon and Shuster
The only reason I bought this book was because I knew about the series and wanted to read it. My decision was in no way influenced by seeing the cover on a bookstore shelf. But when I look at the original UK cover featured below, I reckon I got off lightly. I mean honestly, would you droll over and fall in love with those broken Barbies below?

ORIGINAL UK COVER


Published February 8th 2005 by Simon and Schuster 

Yes, I get that both of these tell us something about the story, but still a cover has to be appealing. And I prefer covers that sell me on the main character I'm about to devote hours of my precious time reading about. Neither of these covers do that. And I guess that sums up my feelings about the Ugly series in general: Tally, the MC, was so unmemorable - just vehicle used by Scott Westerfield to convey his views on beauty - that she doesn't even get a mention on the cover. In fact, the only character who has stayed with me in this series was Zane from Pretties - book two in the trilogy. And if you've read the series, you'll know what happened to him . . .

WHAT ABOUT THE US COVER?

The US cover at least gave us a person, Tally, I assume.
Although far from perfect, this cover works so much better for me.

Published February 8th 2005 by Simon Schuster Children's



AND THEN WE HAVE THIS ONE . . .

Out of the blue, this cover appeared. I've dug around, but I can't seem to find which market this was published for. Do you have a copy of this version? If so, leave a comment telling us where you bought it. It is certainly striking, but again, does it talk to me? Not really. Still, it's better than the UK ones.

Published January 3rd 2006 by SIMON & SCHUSTER CHILDRENS

Which cover do you own? And, perhaps more importantly, which would rather own?

Cheers
Gwynn

Disqus for Gwynneth White