Friday 31 May 2013

Frivolous Friday: Things I Hate About Africa

Welcome to the weekend . . .  and to June! I still can't get my head around the idea that half the year is almost gone. It's almost scary. Or am I the only one to feel that?

Anyway, from the post title you can see I'm divulging another of my pet peeves about living in Africa.

Honestly, it often feels like I'm stranded at the very last table at the very last restaurant at the very end of the universe. (Thank you, Douglas Adams! If you haven't read his hysterically funny book Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Goodreads), then you really should)


But I digress.

Living in Africa is anything but funny when it comes to trying to be part of the modern world.

For example . . . Since I first understood the word 'computer', I've used a Mac. So when eReaders came out you'd think it would be logical for me to buy an iPad (or Mini .  . . droooooool). Too right. But I didn't. I got a Kindle. The reason? You cannot access the iTunes store in South Africa. Why? Protectionism of our music, film and book industries, apparently. But still we can download from Amazon . . .  if we're prepared to pay an extra $2.00 on every purchase as punishment for not living in the US. Never figured that, but still, grrrrrr.

Then movies . . .  Our new releases coincide with the launch of the DVD in the States and Europe. Okay, maybe not quite so bad, but you get the picture.

And books? We wait months, literally, for new books to hit our shores. Goddess by Josephine Angelini (Goodreads) (hotly anticipated by my daughters) released in the USA on the 28 May 2013, but we'll only get it in October. Thank goodness for Book Depository who will deliver books for free.

These are just some of the irritations which come with living in Africa. Compared to so many others I can mention, they are probably minor, but for completeness, they needed a mention.

Next week, it's back to the positives. Thanks for stopping by. Don't be scared to enter my Giveaway for Perception by Lee Strauss - who knows, you might just win.

Cheers
Gwynn
P.S. Elisa had a 'senior moment' last week and forgot to post her FF. I'm sure she's got together today. Call in on her. It's bound to be fun.





Disqus for Gwynneth White