Sunday 21 April 2013

Cover love: Unwind by Neal Shusterman

To be perfectly honest, I don't like the cover of Unwind much (Review). And by that I mean both the UK and the US versions. Let me show you what I mean. . .

This horrible - infantile, in my humble view - cover decks the UK book sitting on my daughter Erin's shelf. We had to order the book for her and this is what the bookshop imported from the UK. Would you have bought this if you'd seen it in a shop? Not me, babe. I get that the body parts are attached to a frame as if it were a model, but still, it misses the mark for me.

UK Version Simon & Schuster Children's Books

But the US cover doesn't excite me much either. Then again, I can't think of a better way of depicting the legalized dismembering of kids to get to their body parts . . . Have you any ideas?

e
US Cover

This final cover was used on the eBook. Why it needed a different cover is anyone's guess. I quite like the red strip. The bloody streak adds some 'life' to the cover. Sick joke, given what the book's about.

EBook version

So what are your thought? As usual I'd love to hear them.

cheers
Gwynn

Disqus for Gwynneth White