Thursday 2 May 2013

Cover Love: Firelight Series by Sophie Jordan

Now for some interesting cover comparisons. These four covers grace the first two book in the Firelight series by Sophie Jordan. The top two are the US covers. I think the girl on Firelight (Goodreads) is supposed to be the heroine, Jacinda. If that theory holds true, then the cover on Vanished (Review here) is her twin sister Tamra. They look different because they have such contrary powers. Jacinda is a fire-breather, while Tamra is a Shader - simply put, a draki mist and fog generator.


The bottom two sketches cover the books in my shelf - the UK versions. I quite like the black and red Firelight cover. I think it's evocative and I bought the book based entirely on that image. But, as for Vanish? Well, that draki looks like it has a huge nose. Or is that just me? Still, I prefer both the UK covers to the US because I think they're more original. Girl's faces  - even with a bad break out of dragon scales - are SO done.

And now for something completely different. This cover was used on the Indonesian version. I thought that was interesting. But does it 'speak' to me? Not really. I would not have bought the book based on this. What about you?


Indonesian cover
As usual I'm dying to know which cover you have in your shelf and which you prefer, so don't be scared to comment.

Cheers
Gwynn

Disqus for Gwynneth White