Friday 29 March 2013

Feature and Follow: 29 March


Thanks to Parajunkee & Alison Can Read for this enlightening meme! I love making new cyber-friends, so please feel free to follow me anyway you choose and I will happily return the favour.

The question we're asked today is:

Q: Tell us about the most emotional scene you've ever read in a book - and how did you react?

 

I remember when I was a teenager how books manipulated my emotions. Some made me delirious with happiness, others filled me with fury, often shaping my beliefs on society. And then there were the ones that had me sobbing like a baby. Three really stick in my mind: The Outsiders by TE Hinton, Go Ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks and The L-Shaped Room by Lynne Reid Banks. I'm really aging myself here. 

 

As an adult, I can think of two book series that really grilled me emotionally. The first is Harry Potter. I still get tears in my eyes when I think of Dobby and Sirius dying. I think the final battle between Harry and Voldie as one of the best book triumphs I've read. I get goosebumps every time I think about it.

 

The other series is The Hunger Games. The concept behind the books fills me with disgust and rage because I can actually envisage a society doing just that to their kids. It's not beyond the realms of possibility - think of the Romans, part of Collins's inspiration for the series. They sent many children to die in their arenas.

 

That's me. What about you? Leave a link and I'll pop over and visit.

cheers

Gwynneth 

 

Disqus for Gwynneth White