Tuesday 5 March 2013

Throne of Glass: Review


What were the publishers of the American version thinking with that boring cover? THIS is what Celaena really looks like! Way to go, girl!



  
Yes please! This is my idea of a kick-butt girl. Celaena Sardothien (magic name, I love it) is everything a heroine needs to be: vane, insecure, arrogant, sardonic, funny, deadly - and she eats candy like a kid. She is without doubt my new favourite heroine. (Eat your heart out Aria and Triss)

I devoured Throne of Glass, hardly coming up for breath. It has all the elements I love: strong, well-fleshed out characters, utterly believable world building, great bad guys, twisting plot that keeps you guessing to the last minute, magic, meddling of the dead, battles, bloodshed and hot boys. What more can a girl want?

The next book in the series.

Why oh why, do publishers make us wait so long for our books. In an ideal world, all our book boyfriends and girl friends would come alive and hunt them down. Celaena would take out most of them single-handily. But I’m getting carried away . . .

This book starts in Endovier salt mine where Celaena has been sentenced for life for her crimes as an assassin. Then she is offered a deal by Dorian, Crown Prince of Adarlan. He wants her to be his champion in a tournament his father is hosting. If she wins, she secures her freedom after four years of servitude to the crown. It’s an offer she can’t refuse.

For those who hate love triangles, be warned: there is a triangle of sorts in this book between Celaena, Dorian and Chaol, Captain of the Guard. But I think it was pretty much solved by the end of book one. I have my suspicions that a romance with one of these men would be an absolute no-no. Something to do with eye colour! But I will say no more. Also, in my view, the most deserving of the two hot guys won her smiles by the end of the book.

In case you think this book is all about romance, relax, it’s not. It has a very strong plot that left so many unanswered questions that I suspect the challenges Ceaena faced in book one will be nothing compared to what awaits her in book two. Bring it on!

As far as writing style goes, it could have been better. But hey, this isn't Literature 101, it's me connecting with characters and stories I love, so, over looking the flaws, I give this book five very sharp daggers.

Cheers
Gwynneth
PS: There are about four eBook novellas about Celaena's early life. Expect reviews! 


Disqus for Gwynneth White